The Ghosts of Christmas Presents Past

I want you all to think of all the toys you ever got.  For Christmas, for your birthday, or whatever.




You may not recall receiving some of your earliest toys as gifts or even playing with them, but there's a good chance you remember the toys themselves.  Perhaps they were handed down to a younger brother, sister, or cousin, or maybe they just got stashed away in a attic or basement and your mother mentioned that they once belonged to you.  Whether you remember actually playing with them or not, chances are that the last time you remember seeing them, they were in perfectly usable condition.  Baby toys are the most durable of all toys.  Often such toys are saved for children of the next generation.

Now, I want you to think about your favorite toy you ever had.  Chances are:

  • It wasn't anything like the toys in the pictures above.
  • It wasn't a baby toy.
  • You received near the end of the period of your life in which you played with toys.
  • It was relatively expensive.
  • It was relatively complex.
My favorite toy I ever received was a remote controlled cane like the ones used in shipyards.


That thing was awesome.  It gave me weeks of enjoyment, but alas, one by one, the buttons on the remote controller started to fail.  By Easter, it was useless.  I couldn't bear to throw it away.  Not right away anyway.  That summer, my mom took care of the sad deed for me.  It was kind of like burying a pet.

All of this is just my long winded saying that complexity and durability are inversely related.

Well duh, who doesn't know that?

Ooooh, it's been along time since we've heard from you, Mr. Liberal who speaks in italics, and this isn't even a political subject.

Anyway, I sure that almost everyone is aware of it.  I just don't think that most people appreciate it.

Mark my words, the computers, the internet, cell phones are not going to be around forever, and most of you reading this will live to see it happen.

How is it going to happen?  I don't know.  There are dozens of possibilities.  This post I saw at The Real Revo (Great blog except for they don't like Trump) explains one possibility.

Another possibility is (what I feel is) the certain upcoming financial collapse, as either the cause or result of it.

My point is that we all must start becoming for whatever may happen, NOW.  By the time you can do so without everyone calling you crazy, it will be too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment