Boy, That was quick!

Thanks Irish, and all the other people who helped me out so quickly! In less than a day, I had the answer to a question that had been haunting me for almost fifty years. Willy Kanos, wild Rivr Ranger, and anonymous were correct. Thanks again, everyone! 

P.S. Does anyone know anything about old photos printed on glass? Was that a common thing back then? I know that photo negatives were glass in the old days.

Mystery solved:  Location is: Canyon de Chelley on the Navaho Reservation New Mexico.
http://www.usgwarchives.net/az/apache/postcards/chelly.jpg
 Thanks Wild River Ranger!!!

Almost a perfect match!
...and in COLOR!

7 comments:

  1. The old negatives were made with the photosensitive chemicals applied to glass in order to pass light through them when making the positive image-- the print-- negatives are darker where there is more light and vice versa. When the light passes through the negative image, the dark areas (lighter in real world) provide less light to the print and the light areas pass more light, thus reversing the image back to what it really looks like. Most people assume that early photography was very crude but lenses had been around for centuries and experimentation quickly discovered the effective formula for the coatings. The enduring problem was how sensitive the chemicals were-- early chems were very slow requiring long exposures and mechanical devices to help portrait subjects remain stationary for possibly minutes.
    I have seen what I took to be negatives on silver sheets but I assumed them to be experimentats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the additional information.

      Delete
  2. The card is incorrect. The Canyon De Chelley is in Chinle Arizona.
    26*08'01.00" North 109*28'10.00" West.
    (Sorry, I don't know where the degree key is.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct. Thanks for pointing that out.

      Delete
  3. The formation in the photograph appears to be called Spider Rock, at 36.107702° N, 109.350450° W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked out Google images of Spider Rock. It sure looks like you're correct to me. Thank you. Now I know exactly what is in my picture and where it was taken. Mystery solved.

      Delete
  4. I can not but admire truly enable your weblog, your weblog is so adorable and great.It have to try me courage Given scarier things. I Tend to steer clear of them but not anymore.
    Packers And Movers Bangalore

    ReplyDelete