Are You Smarter than Bill Gates?

Author’s note:  I’m a busy man, no time to proofread.  If any errors bother you, point them out in the comments section and I’ll fix ‘em later, maybe, probably not.


Bill Gates knows more about computers, software, and information than I do.  So does Mark Zuckerberg, and so did Steve Jobs.  Chances are that all of these people know (knew) about these subjects than you do too.  Does that mean that they are (were) smarter than you or I?  No, it means that they know (knew) more about computers, software and information technology then we do - nothing more. All of us probably know quite a bit more than any of the people mentioned above in a wide range of subjects, but I’d bet that none or very few of us, would say that automatically makes us more intelligent than them, or anyone else.

The good thing about Steve Jobs being dead is I no longer have to see articles on what he thinks about subjects that he has no expertise in.  Unfortunately, I still have dodge reading the opinions of Gates and Zuckerberg.  Sometimes I can’t help myself.  I guess I need to keep proving to myself that these guys are not smarter than me.  Read the following, and see what I mean -


source: Business Insider
Bill Gates just described his biggest fear — and it could kill 33 million people in less than a year
You would think that Bill Gates, the ever-so-friendly richest man in the world, wouldn't be afraid of much.
But as he recently told Ezra Klein at Vox, he does have some major fears for humanity.
"I rate the chance of a nuclear war within my lifetime as being fairly low," says Gates. "I rate the chance of a widespread epidemic, far worse than Ebola, in my lifetime, as well over 50%."


OK, so Bill Gates is worried about a major disease outbreak - not impossible, maybe not even unlikely, but we can say with 100% certainty, that a major, population decimating, epidemic is not occurring at this very moment.  Shouldn’t we be more concerned about something that is?  

I think it’s human nature to discount present danger.  It may sound counterintuitive, but it’s a survival mechanism.  It’s what makes us forge ahead instead of cowering in fear, but at the same time, it’s only logical that we direct most of our time and resources towards something that is a current threat.

I should hope that most of you who read this will readily understand what the clear and present danger that we are currently facing is.  What I am talking about is specifically, our $18 trillion national debt, and our federal government in general.  Both of these things are eroding our freedom, and freedom is the only thing that really matters.  Without it, we are almost powerless to effectively address any other potential threats, including a major pandemic.

About four years ago, I was listening to a radio show (I think it was the Mark Belling Show.) and some politician (I think it was Senator Ron Johnson.) cited a study that took into account every country that ever existed, since the 1200’s, and it showed that every country, that ever sustained a debt equal or greater to 90% of GDP, for three or more consecutive years, ended up doing one of two things.  They either defaulted on their debt or hyperinflated their currency.  Either of these two things means disaster.  Disaster beyond what most people can even fathom.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a copy of this study, which show I heard this on, or who said it.  If someone knows anything about this study, please comment or email me at: neilschnurr3@gmail.com

Now check this out:


We’re already in the danger zone.  What makes us think that we can escape what no other country ever has?  We got one thing going for us.  There are quite a few countries that are in worse shape than we are.  Japan and many of the European countries come to mind.  Maybe, watching them fall apart will make us wake up in time.  I hope so.

What we are facing has the potential to be more real and more devastating than a disease outbreak, global warming, terrorism, or almost anything else I can think of, and will render us unable to cope with any other disaster or emergency that might come our way.

Ya know, I think I just might be smarter than Mark Zuckerberg or Bill Gates.




2 comments:

  1. Is this what you were looking for?

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growth_in_a_Time_of_Debt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it is. Thank you either way. I going to have to read more to find the exact quote I mentioned. Whoever wrote the Wikipedia article appears to be biased.

      Delete