The O-Limp-Dicks: Do You Even Give a Shit Anymore?

Now I do acknowledge the possibility that I live in some kind of bubble, and what I experience in my everyday life, in not a representative sample of our country as a whole.  In fact, I did a little research, and what I found seems to confirm this possibility.  The TV ratings for this and any of the Olympic Games in the recent past, have remained fairly strong.

That being said, it appears to me that no one cares about the Olympics anymore, not like they did back in the day, back when it was us against the Soviets, and their satellite communist nations.  If you were to ask people what was the greatest moment in US Olympic history, I bet most people would say it was when we beat the Soviets to win the gold in hockey back in 1980, at Lake Placid, NY.

Maybe it’s just me.  Maybe it’s because I watched the Olympics back then.  Maybe it’s because I cared back then, but I can vividly remember people talking about the games in everyday conversation, wherever I was.  I just don’t experience that anymore.  I haven’t heard a peep about the Olympics at work.

Mark Spitz, Cathy Rigby, Bruce Jenner, Peggy Fleming, Mary Lou Retton, these are the names and faces that I can easily recall.  I’ll  bet that if a group of people were chosen at random, to name some famous U.S. Olympians, these names would come up just as often as any of the ones that followed them in the next thirty to forty years.

I guess what I’m trying to say is there might be more to the equation of accurately gauging public interest in the Olympics (or anything else, for that matter) than just TV ratings.

8 comments:

  1. yeah...I'm just not feeling it at all. I love my Old America. This one under O'buttbanger is just pathetic. Finding it harder and harder to remain upbeat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, is it just us? I don't get it. The TV ratings are just as high, but I don't hear people discussing them like I used to. The two things don't seem to go hand in hand.

      Delete
  2. 1980...three networks to watch...no internet...no cell phones, etc. The US beat Finland to win the gold that year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct about everything you said, including the part about me being wrong. I should have written that more carefully. Your correction has been duly noted.

      Delete
  3. I never got into the Olympics much to begin with, not at all this time around. Curling? Really? Plus Obozo playing up the gay angle did not help matters. So we are suppose to be proud because we have the most sodomites? Olympics? Could care less.,
    C.J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like very few people care about the O-Limp-Dicks. I just don't hear people talking about them like they did in the '70's and '80's, but the ratings remain high? What explains that? Like I said, either I'm living in a bubble, or there has got to be more to the equation of determining public interest than just TV ratings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil, I do not know a single person who is watching the O-Limp-Dicks. Maybe they figure the ratings like they do the unemployment rate, just in reverse.
      C.J.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, maybe you have something there. Let's see, maybe it's something like this. A large number of people have given up watching the Olympics altogether, so they are not counted anymore as people who don't watch the Olympics, so the percentage of people who do watch the Olympics is a higher percentage of the remainder, or something like that.

      Delete